3. Bailey. Even though she was Stephen’s dog first, she’s my baby too. She’s quirky and has her flaws, but there’s no other dog like her. I love how excited she is to see us when we come home, even if we were only gone for a few minutes.
4. Girl talk. I’m very much a one-on-one kind of person, so when I can get together with just one or two of my dear friends, I am thrilled. I love being in their company, and I love knowing I can be myself without fearing rejection.
5. School supplies. I know it’s silly, but I don’t care; school supplies make me absolutely giddy. I love looking at them, love buying them, love using them. Post-its and colored gel pens=perfection.
6. Target. I’m not sure if this is sillier than school supplies or not, but I love walking around Target. I recall many an hour spent just roaming the aisles, imagining what I would do with this item or that item, and I must always look at everything in the One Spot when visiting. Even if it’s junk most of the time, treasure can be found, like The Office-themed post-its and notepad I found once, or the Napoleon Dynamite pens. You just never know what a trip to Target holds.
8. Babies and small children. While I don’t always love being around hordes of small ones, I do love watching them interact with people. There are few things as precious as a smile or laugh from a young soul.
9. Singing. I have loved singing ever since I was little, and I hope I can always sing in some capacity. I just recently joined the choir at church after putting it off for months because of nerves, and I’m so glad I joined. Hearing voices swell around me, joining in harmony, soothes and comforts me, and worship through song is very special to me.
10. Gilmore Girls. (Okay, you knew I was going there, right? If you’ve read my blog for a while, you did.) I can’t talk about things that make me smile without mentioning this beloved show (which had a dismally subpar final season, I’m afraid). No show has captured my heart like that one, and I doubt another one ever will, although The Office might come close. I know the episodes backwards and forwards, and I don’t think I’ll ever tire of watching my favorites. If only there were still “fresh” episodes…
I think this list is a pretty good start. Perhaps I shall add to it weekly. What makes you smile?