1. Today I feel like a terrible teacher. I have a class that is a bit unruly, and it’s been a challenge for me. I’m quite fond of having people like me, and so I feel very uncomfortable when I have to be stern in class because I worry about the students hating me. Stephen keeps reminding me that my job is to teach them, not be their friend, but it’s really hard for me. Am I completely crazy?
2. I originally titled this “Fun with Bullets,” but then realized I was numbering each item. Oops. I wonder how bullets got their name (I’m talking about the typographical symbol, not ammunition). Are the typed bullets called so because of their round shape? Because they’re often used to make quick points, so it’s like the speed of a bullet? (Yeah, probably not.)
3. iTunes 8 has a new feature called Genius, and it truly is genius. It works kind of like Pandora. You select a song in your library, click on the “Genius” icon, and then it searches your library for songs that complement the one you picked. I’ve tried it with a Fiona Apple song, a Jason Mraz song, a Bethany Dillon song, and a Natasha Bedingfield song, and I have LOVED each playlist iTunes generated! Definitely give it a try; I rediscovered a lot of songs this way.
4. I have received my first batch of papers. Guess what I’m doing this weekend?
5. There are four weeks until my birthday! In case you don’t know, I LOVE celebrating my birthday. I love making a big deal out of it, and I always have. When I have kids, I am going to make a big deal out of their birthdays. Stephen couldn’t care less about his birthday and doesn’t like big deals made about him in general (I married such a humble guy), so I look forward to forcing my children to make big deals out of their days of birth.
6. Yesterday was National Punctuation Day. I feel that not realizing this is a personal failure on my part. To read one example of how one incorrectly used comma can cost millions of dollars, read this article.
7. My favorite punctuation is the semicolon; it’s super.
8. Once again, alot is NOT a word! And your=possession (e.g., your coat), you’re=you are (e.g., “you’re silly). Why is that so hard for people to get??
9. Every time I see GG used to reference the CW show Gossip Girl, I want to hurl something at the computer. Everyone knows the original GG is Gilmore Girls, thank you very much! (And don’t tell me the original GG is really Golden Girls. Let’s be serious.)
10. I don’t really have a tenth thing, but I can’t end with an odd number, unless it’s divisible by 5. Weird, huh?