I am 27 today, and I’m hopeful that it’s going to be a great year. In the past 9 months I’ve lost 43 pounds and have developed a new sense of self, one that’s full of confidence and faith and hope, and I can’t wait to see what this next year holds! I plan on being in maintenance mode a year from now (hopefully by the summer, actually), so I’m hoping to see these milestones in my 27th year:
1. No more plus sizes! I will shop in a section that does not have a W or an X after the sizes!
2. BMI in the healthy to near-healthy range! I have a long way to go to reach this point, but I’m determined to get there.
3. Ability to walk 5 miles. I can do 3 miles comfortably right now, and I hope to build up to 5 miles.
4. Trimmed down waistline. I hope to be in a size 12 or 14, and that means I need to lose more inches! I have a thick waist, and the inches are really stubborn about coming off, so I am going to have to be realistic about this goal and re-evaluate it if needed.
5. No obsessive exercising. I want to maintain my current schedule of moderate exercise 4-5 days a week because I know that’s what I’ll realistically be able to handle. I don’t want to get back into hour-long workouts 6-7 days a week, except on occasion! It’s not realistic to expect to keep that up forever.
6. Finding ways to get “accidental exercise.” I’ve been focusing on this idea recently, looking for small ways to get in exercise, like doing wall push ups in my office, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking in the back of the parking lot, etc., and I want to continue to do that until it becomes a natural part of my thought process.
7. Stay in calorie range for 6 days a week for 3 months. I have yet to do this, and I really need to, so I can prove to myself that I have the discipline I need to stick with healthy eating for a lifetime.
8. Reach Level 3 on 30 Day Shred. I just got this DVD over the weekend, and I did level 1 yesterday. It was TOUGH! I’d stayed away from it for a while because I had read so many reviews that said things like, “I thought I was in shape, but this DVD was really challenging,” so the wimp in me decided I wouldn’t go near it. However, because of my desire to see more inches lost and to really challenge myself and my body, I bought it. I had to take a break at one point because I felt dizzy, and it’s only a 25-minute workout! But I know it’s effective because it definitely got my heart rate up and kept it there (average of 159–79% of max), and my muscles are nice and sore today. I’m determined to keep at it until I can do all 3 levels without taking a break!
Even though I’m not losing weight or inches as fast as I would like, I’m making progress, and that’s what matters. I am working on taking each day at a time, focusing on doing what I need to do for that day, and it’s really helping. I get overwhelmed at times with how far I have to go, but I know this is not a sprint I’m in, but a lifelong marathon, and no matter how long it takes, I’m in it for good.